The thought of long summer nights, filled with yummy foods, drinks and BBQ’s can get anyone excited! However, according to the National Heartburn Alliance, the 50 million Americans suffering from heartburn, experience worse symptoms during the summer months.
There couldn’t be a worse time than summer to experience heartburn. Even if you make sure to eat the right foods, the blaring heat alone may trigger your heartburn. Here are a few findings from a study carried out by Wakefield Research, for Proctor & Gamble, the company which brings us Prilosec OTC:
- 46% of Americans suffering from frequent heartburn identified summer as the time of year where they experience the most heartburn symptoms.
- 63% revealed their symptoms interfered with them being able to have fun and enjoy the BBQ season.
- 75% of sufferers revealed it would be worse if they forgot their heartburn medication over sun block when going on vacation.
- 75% sadly said their heartburn has inconvenienced friends and family.
- 1 in 3 admitted to purposely avoiding a BBQ because of their heartburn symptoms.
- 60% of sufferers had to adjust plans when on vacation because of heartburn.
- 78% of Americans suffering heartburn said they have been held back from doing what they love most due to regular heartburn symptoms. Events such as happy hour, family parties and sporting events were all on the list!
How do I stop heartburn ruining my summer?
Letting heartburn stop you in you tracks of having fun and spending time with loved ones, shouldn’t be the case. Don’t let this condition stop you from living your daily life.
Be sure to avoid the common heartburn triggers:
- Caffeine – coffee and soda
- Tomato based products
Make sure you maintain a healthy lifestyle and exercise. Obesity is a major trigger for heartburn, as excess weight can put pressure on your stomach, pushing acid up into the esophagus.
If you are a smoker, summer can be the best time to quit. Smoking relaxes the valve at the top of the stomach, allowing a flow of acid into your esophagus.
The staff at Houston Heartburn and Reflux Center are here to help in solving your summer heartburn problems. Make an appointment today, and start enjoying the summer while it lasts!